The fortnightly discussions are open to all members to join in. They take place at 7.30pm-9.00pm on Wednesday evening in Devonshire House (for specific venues see listings). This year, the structure is a bit different. A list of topics for term 1 have been decided. Each fortnight a member of the committe will present a topic for about 10 minutes at the start to the others and will have emailed round some information (e.g. a suggested academic reading, a report, a newspaper article) so members can learn and think about a topic in advance. Then there will be a chance to ask the presenter some questions followed by an open discussion. The list of topics and their venues for term 1 are as follows:
- Wednesday 19th October: Gendercide (China’s One-Child Policy and The Murder of Young Girls) Long Lounge
- Wednesday 2nd November: Sexualisation of UK Culture (Has Sexual Liberation Turned into Exploitation?) JCR
- Wednesday 16th November: What is Kyriachy? (The Intersection of Multiple Parallel Oppressions) JCR
- Wednesday 30th November: A Green Movement (The effect of Climate Change on Women) JCR
- Wednesday 14th December – LGBTQ+* and Feminism (How and Where do LGBTQ+ People Fit in?) JCR
- Wednesday 12th October 2011: Meet at the Ram @ 8.30pm then onto the Firehouse for 9.30pm for pizza and drinks.
- Wednesday 26th October 2011: Film screening of Orlando. Watch the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYA7vCkKFls Details to be confirmed sooner to the time.
If you would like to propose a topic, join the Gender Equality Society or have any general questions about the events, please email the society's president, Lindsay Lyon, at: